Internship Secondary Supervision
Pursuant to NAC 641A.178, a Candidate for Internship Licensure must submit a completed Secondary Supervisor Form along with the Application for licensure or before the end of the Internship. This Form will contain the name and address of the prospective place where internship hours will be accumulated and the name and signature of the prospective Secondary Supervisor.
NAC 641A.178 Supervision of interns: Primary and secondary approved supervisors; limitation on number of interns; time required for supervision; approved use of conference calls.
(NRS 641A.160, 641A.287, 641A.288)
- Before beginning an internship, each intern must have at least two supervisors approved by the Board - a Primary Supervisor and a Secondary Supervisor. During the course of the supervision of the intern:
- (a) The primary approved supervisor shall meet with the intern for at least 160 hours to discuss and evaluate the performance of the intern. Primary supervision will be conducted at least one hour per week, each week that the Intern sees clients; and
- (b) The secondary approved supervision shall be for at least 40 hours.
- Unless otherwise authorized by the Board, not more than:
- (a) Ten interns may be placed under the supervision of any primary approved supervisor at one time; and
- (b) Ten interns may be placed under the supervision of any secondary approved supervisor at one time.
- The time required for supervision includes the time devoted to:
- (a) Meetings between the approved supervisor and the intern where videotapes or audiotapes are reviewed;
- (b) Therapy sessions in which the approved supervisor participates;
- (c) Therapy sessions in which the approved supervisor observes the session from a location whereby the approved supervisor is neither seen nor heard; or
- (d) The presentation of a case by the intern and a discussion by the approved supervisor of the proper management and treatment of the case.
- The time required for supervision does not include the time devoted to attendance at seminars, workshops or classes.
- The Board will approve the use of conference calls for supervision of an intern in extenuating circumstances.
Applicant May Call and Interview Potential Supervisors
An Applicant may call and interview potential supervisors from the list of Nevada Approved Supervisors until suitable supervision is obtained.
Submittal Requirements for For Secondary Supervisor NOT Chosen from the List of Nevada Approved Supervisors
If Supervision for Secondary Supervision is not chosen from the list of Nevada Approved Supervisors, the Intern Candidate must submit evidential documentation of supervision qualification and, if necessary, written explanation of any extenuating circumstances with all supporting documentation for consideration by the Board.
Secondary Supervisor Contract Form