CPC Qualifications to Apply
The Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors was created for the protection of the public. The Board is empowered under the Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) Chapter 641A to set minimum standards for licensing of Clinical Professional Counselors (CPCs) and to oversee the ethical conduct of CPCs and CPC Interns in the State of Nevada. The NRS 641A.231 empowers the Board to examine candidates based on their knowledge of Clinical Professional Counseling literature. Each applicant must furnish evidence to the Board that he/she:
- is at least 21 years of age
- is of good moral character
- is a citizen of the United States, or is lawfully entitled to remain and work in the United States;
- completed his residency training in psychiatry from a regionally accredited college, university or institution approved by the Board or
- a graduate Mental Health degree from a program approved by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) as a program in mental health counseling or community counseling or
- An acceptable degree as determined by the Board which includes the completion of a practicum and internship in mental health counseling which was taken concurrently with the degree program and was supervised by a licensed mental health professional; and
- At least 2 years of postgraduate experience practicing professional counseling and;
- At least 3,000 hours of supervised experience in professional counseling, which includes, without limitation,
- at least 1,500 hours must consist of direct contact with clients and;
- at least 100 hours of counseling under the direct supervision of an approved supervisor of which at least 1 one hour per week was completed for each work setting at which the applicant provided counseling; and
- passed the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) which is administered by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC).
Please note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit all forms by the stated deadlines. Board members or staff is not responsible for soliciting these materials. This is the sole responsibility of the applicant. Exceptions cannot be made.
Exams, Academic Review & Board Interview