After Your Internship Has Been Approved
You Must Submit Six-Month Reports on the Forms Provided Below
You must submit six-month reports on the forms attached. MAKE COPIES OF ALL FORMS, BOTH BLANK AND FILLED-IN ( submitted). Reports are due in the Board Office on March 15 and September 15 of each year until you internship is completed. This is your responsibility: the Board does not send notification When reporting hours, please send a separate report form for Primary and Secondary Supervisor for whom you have already submitted internship proposals.
If you wish a confirmation of hours submitted, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your report.
Should you have no hours to report during any six month period, please complete the forms, list hours as “0” and submit. Failure to report may result in withdrawal of internship.
20 Hours Per Week Maximum
TOTAL HOURS of marriage and family therapy and group therapy, exclusive of supervision hours, must not exceed 20 HOURS PER WEEK. The desired ratio is approximately 1 hour of supervision to 6 hours of therapy
Should you wish to add or drop a supervisor during the internship, please request the change in writing, (with proper internship proposal form when adding/changing a supervisor) Supervision changes and additions are considered at quarterly board meeting.
Forms that Must Be Completed by Primary Supervisor
Final “SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE FOR LICENSING” from Supervisor (Form #3) is to be completed by your PRIMARY SUPERVISOR, and to include all hours from secondary supervisors. Your primary supervisor is to be with you over a period of at least a year, and changed only for “reason” (e.g. moved, died, stop supervisory activities). You may add as many secondary supervisors as needed
Experience Required For License
Except as otherwise provided in NAC 641A.111, Before an applicant is eligible for licensure as a Therapist, he must complete at least 3,000 hours of experience in an approved internship, including a minimum of 160 hours under the direct supervision of an AAMFT Approved Supervisor, and a minimum of 40 hours under a secondary supervisor(s), who may or may not be AAMFT Approved. The program to provide the experience must be:
- Approved by the board before the applicant begins the program [and]
- Completed within a minimum of 6 years after the board approves the program [and]
- Structured in such a way that an intern’s client contact hours do not exceed 20 hours per week to be applied toward internship hours.
The composition of these required hours must meet board approval. The registered Intern must perform the following activities in order to fulfill the requirements:
- A minimum of 1500 direct client contact hours, performed after applicant has become a Registered Intern.
- 300 hours of supervision, including a minimum of 160 provided by a Approved supervisor, and a minimum of 40 hours provided by a secondary supervision(s).
The remaining required hours may be met in the same way,. Up to the required minimum total hours: or the following activities may be submitted for consideration by the Board as fulfillment of the requirements:
- A maximum of 300 hours as a group facilitator.
- A maximum of 150 hours of personal therapy, documented by a licensed mental health therapist.
- A maximum of 200 hours of documented teaching by the intern in such formats as parent education, family education, workshops, or similar teaching activities, to be agree upon by the Primary Supervisor.
- A maximum of 50 hours, documented, in additional training, such as university graduate work, a pre-approved workshop, or other training/education activities agreed upon by the Primary Supervisor.
- A maximum of 500 hours of direct client contact, performed in a graduate program of study, documented, with supervision of at least 100 hours provided by a University Supervisor.